Words by Para Mobility Team
Australians are an outdoorsy bunch, so with the warm weather approaching it’s good to know there are a variety of ways for people of all abilities to get out and enjoy the water. Beach wheelchairs are now readily available to loan for free at many beaches, but that won’t suit everyone – many people prefer swimming in a pool.
While pools and spas in the US are required by law to be equipped with a pool chair or hoist to ensure anyone can enjoy a swim, it’s not mandatory in Australia. However, right across the country there are businesses that are seeing the value in being inclusive to all. We hope this taster list of places to play and stay encourages you to get out and enjoy the warmer weather this summer.
New South Wales
- Sydney Olympic Park Aquatic Centre at Homebush is equipped with two Pelican pool hoists, aquatic chairs, adult-size change tables and a ceiling hoist.
- Raging Waters Sydney has an aquatic wheelchair and accessible change table.
- Shelly Beach Tourist Park at Bateau Bay has a Kingfisher pool chair.
- Byron Bay Rainforest Resort has accessible accommodation, a pool with ramp and an aquatic wheelchair.
- The Peninsula Hot Springs on the Mornington Peninsula are equipped with a hoist and sling, chair and accessible bathrooms.
- Parks Victoria has made boating access that much easier at Patterson River Wharf by providing a hoist and sling.
- Sailability Club Wharf Tin Can Bay in the Gympie region offers boat access with a Pelican pool hoist.
- Sea World Gold Coast offers access with a wheelchair platform and pool hoist for visitors keen to do the dolphin experience.
- W Brisbane offers guest access to the pool with a hoist, sling and aquatic chair.
- Magnetic Island Community Pool offers a hoist and sling – call ahead to book the equipment.
- The Westin Brisbane offers Brisbane’s only accessible swim-up bar, with a Kingfisher seat providing pool access.
- At Adelaide Aquatic Centre, Determined2 offers immersion therapy using scuba equipment, with access made possible thanks to a Pelican pool hoist with sling chairs and change tables.
- Crown Towers Perth has a hoist and sling as well as a chair.
- Beatty Park Leisure Centre has a hoist and sling as well as a chair.
This story first appeared in Travel Without Limits magazine. To subscribe to the magazine, click here.